Spring Boot - How To Get Started and Build a Microservice
Learn to build your first Spring Boot application with an actionable and hands-on approach.
The book is highly specialized in helping you to write your first real world Spring Boot application; actionable and focused. I left the fluff out and stayed on track, so you get the most benefit out of it. It is specific in guiding you to your first real world Spring Boot app. I am not telling you the origins of Java (which typically make 1/4 of a book), nor am I writing a bit about everything and nothing.
Together we build a real application, and I will explain you the steps and libraries involved on the go.
You learn best by coding.
What you will build
We create a Microservice for storing comments and providing a REST Interface for interacting with the data. The sample application is modeled after a real production application to guide you through building your first Spring Boot application.
We focus on the backend and API and will not cover an UI.
What you will learn
- How to build a microservice with Spring Boot 1.5.2
- How to work with a relational database using the Spring Data JPA Framework
- How to write the REST API using Spring MVC
- How to create a service layer and integrate a legacy library using its own Spring ApplicationContext in an XML file
- How to test the application
- An easy way to secure you application
- How to use monitoring and health check out of the box with Spring Boot
- How to deploy your application
What you will get
My Spring Boot book is available in 2 editions:
Amazon - No free lifetime updates
You can buy the book on Amazon for Kindle and Print for a smaller price but without getting free lifetime updates. When I update the book, i.e. upgrade to Spring Boot 2 you need to buy it again.
Kindle, ePub and PDF - Free lifetime updates
Or you can buy the book here in Kindle, ePub and PDF format with free lifetime updates. You always get the latest version.
If you have questions, do not hesitate and contact me using the email address at the end of the book. I'll answer your questions and improve the book with your feedback.
This book is for you when
- you have a bit of experience with Java and want to learn Spring Boot
- you already work with the Spring Framework, but you are new to Spring Boot
- you love building applications and learning new technologies
It is NOT for you if
- you like reading fluffy compendiums
- you just read and don't take action
- you don't know the Java language at all (Learn the basics and come back :-) )
- 6th April: Revised testing sections and code, updated to Spring Boot 1.5.2
- 11th February: Updated book and source code to Spring Boot 1.5.1 and added section about the log level changing during runtime.